Saturday, February 25, 2012

Philippine National Artist -- Salute!!

Last wednesday I think, it was raining, pouring actually. My friends and I decided to go to our school library, and then we saw this exhibit I think?? anyway, I saw this huge and heavy book, it's not that thick but it is heavy because it's hardbound. Then off course curiosity kicks in then I start flipping through it's pages, I forgot the title of the book which is silly but the book talks about the Philippine National Artist named Napoleon Abueva. 

I start searching through the internet again offcourse, because I have never heard his name before. I have found this information about him:
According to wickipedia.com Napoleon Isabelo Veloso-Abueva born on January 16, 1930 is popularly known as Napoleon Abuevo, he is a sculptor and he is entitled as "Father of Modern Philippine Sculpture". He is also the only boholano given the distinction as National Artist of the Philippines in the field of visual arts. 

His nickame is billy (which is cute for some reason) and he has six other brothers and sisters. As a young boy he studied at Tagbilaran Elementary School, and later at University of Southern Philippines, Holy Name College, Rafael Palma College before making it as a sculptor. 

in 1796 he was proclaimed as National Artist of the Philippines by President Ferdinand Marcos, he was the youngest recipient of the title at the age of 46

Kiss of Judas
Some of his major works include Kaganapan (1953), Kiss of Judas (1955), Thirty Pieces of Silver, The Transfiguration, Eternal Gardens Memorial Park (1979), UP Gateway (1967), Nine Muses (1994), UP Faculty Center, Sunburst (1994)-Peninsula Manila Hotel, the bronze figure of Teodoro M. Kalaw in front of National Library, and murals in marble at the National Heroes Shrine, Mt. Samat, Bataan. One masterpiece he dedicates to the Boholanos is the Sandugo or Blood Compact shrine in Bohol, Tagbilaran City, a landmark at the site of the first international treaty of friendship between Spaniardsand Filipinos. This is now a tourist attraction in Bohol province. This shrine is an expression of Abueva's awareness of his roots, and a manifestation of his artistic talents.

He is married to Cherry Abueva, a psychiatrist, and has three children, Amihan,Mulawin, and Duero. Before his stroke, he used to teach at the Industrial Design department of the De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde School of Design and Arts

Back to my story, while I was flipping through the pages the book, off course it shows some of his work and some quotes about being an artist specifically a sculptor. I saw this photo that can be seen at University of the Philippines, actually those sculptures for me was a sign or indicator that you are at the UP campus already, I was a bit shocked honestly when those sculptures were made with the help of Abuevo and other sculptors, never expected that actually.

does this ring a bell? 
I'm sharing this to you guys because I'm not really expecting to know this kind of random stuff just by visiting our school library. Which tells us to visit the library more frequently and read books as well because you don't know what knowledge lies within its pages. 

there you have it guys. 

Happy reading! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment